Car-addicts.com gives you a summary of all the vital information of the unfolding of the Volkswagen situation – aka Dieselgate, the German car manufacturer has manipulated its diesel engine emissions on the official consumer tests.
• KEY MOMENT: VW Group is charged with evidence by the US Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) that has manipulated consumption and emissions tests for diesel models.
• VW Group shares drop 20%, the largest fall in a single day in its history. VW Group CEO respond to allegations and apologizes, saying it will cooperate with US authorities.
• Volkswagen case receives the name Dieselgate and rattles high level. The White House and the German Government examines all models sold by VW.
• How was discovered that Volkswagen fraud emission testing. What solutions exist to repair the problem.
• Alfa Romeo officials accusing since 2010 the emission figures offered for some models by the VW Group: “It is miraculous, magical and extraterrestrial.”
• Michael Horn, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, openly acknowledges US EPA findings: “We have totally screwed up“.
• KEY MOMENT: Volkswagen Group officially announces that the “cheating” software affects the emissions of 11 million cars worldwide.
• First information appear about the possible dismissal of the Volkswagen Group CEO Martin Winterkorn. The rumors are denied by a spokesman.
• Martin Winterkorn returns with a video message in which he apologizes and asks for confidence: “We will solve all the problems.”
• Porsche delimit itself by the Volkswagen scandal.
• Volkswagen is accused of receiving subsidies of 51 million USD for the “cheating” engine .
• Carlos Ghosn, president of Renault-Nissan Alliance, talks about the Volkswagen scandal.
• Statistics of the Volkswagen lying: the 11 million rigged diesel cars pollute as much as UK in a year.
• KEY MOMENT: Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen Group, officially announced his resignation from the management.
• The hypocrisy behind the Volkswagen scandal. Three major European countries have urged easing the emissions standards: Germany, France and UK.
• The Volkswagen Board appreciates Winterkorn‘s resignation and claims that he did not know about the handling tests.
• German Minister of Transportation announced that problems with the Volkswagen engine also exist in Europe. Also on the blacklist is the 1.6 TDI.
• AutoBild Deutschland accuses BMW and VW that uses the same methods. BMW denies, AutoBild withdraw their statements. BMW shares down by 10%. Opinion: When journalists’ lie costs 6 billion EUR.
• Elon Musk accuses Germany that relies heavily on diesel and petrol. Rupert Stadler, Audi CEO: Auto industry needs diesel.
• German Minister of Transportation, Alexander Dobrindt: “2.8 million cars affected were sold in Germany.” The list contains 1.6 TDI, 2.0 TDI and possibly 1.2 TDI.
• Accused in turn, Mercedes officials deny the use of any system for handling the emissions test.
• KEY MOMENT: VW Group has a new CEO – Matthias Muller, from Porsche.
• VW Group reorganizes.